Skip to main content

SharePoint 2013 First Look



Finally I have installed Windows Server 2012 Full Server (8400.0.WINMAIN_WIN8RC.120518-1423_X64FRE_SERVER_EN-US-HRC_SSS_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5.ISO). I have installed it on Oracle Virtual Box. In my previous blog I have explained how I was struggling with installing Server 2012 on VMWare first. And then when I was successful in installing it on Virtual Box, I had actually installed server core version of Windows Server 2012. 

This time around, I downloaded the full server version of Server 2012. I was able to proceed with installation without any hiccups. 

While creating the VM (using virtual box) I had faced some issue with hard disk space allocation. I have explained it in another blog here.

Let us start with the new and improved UI of SharePoint 15. This is how the UI looks like. It follows the new metro look.

There are lot of new things. And old things put in new place on the screen.


  1. The famous Ribbon of SharePoint 2010 still exists and placed in a different line. I also noticed Windows Server 2012 also implements ribbon concept. If you see windows explorer, that also has ribbon on top.
  2. Information about the person who has logged in is displayed in the top right corner. Site Actions has become just a image. And when you hover on top if it, it shows “Settings”. You also have Help and Feedback icons in this section.
  3. In this section, you have “Share”, “Follow”, “Synchronize”, “Edit” and “Focus on Content”. For Share, you will get an popup like below where you can enter user names and share the page with them.

When I clicked “Follow, I received below error. I am getting these kind of errors in a lot of places. I am sure MS is fixing these.


“Sync”will allow you to sync data with workspace which is a desktop application. “Edit” will allow you to edit the current page. There is another new option “Focus on content”. Which when clicked will show only the content without the left navigation. You will still see the top part of the page. I like this option as lot of our users lose the screen space when we add left navigation. 
  
4.  Logo image. Nothing new here.
5. In left navigation, apart from normal behaviour we have “Edit Links” with which you can edit links in the left navigation. This allows you to add/update/remove links.

 
6. Get Started with your site shows some quick links.
7. This section shows Documents library. A good feature here is that you can directly drag and drop documents on the web part.  

All in all, there are some cool new features added in the UI. This is the first impression of SharePoint 2013 or SP 15. There is more to come. Keep watching.

-Vighnesh Bendre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create list view - Conditional Formatting in SharePoint Designer 2010

In this example, we are going to format a column based on certain condition. Here I already have a list called Projects. I also have workflow associated with it. So whenever I create a new item in the list, workflow status column shows ‘In Progress’. Subsequently when the workflow in completed, the workflow status column shows ‘Completed’. For demonstration purpose, I will set the background color of workflow status column to yellow when the status is ‘In Progress’ and to green when the status is ‘Completed’. In SharePoint Designer open the site on which you are working. Click on ‘Lists and Libraries’ link. Choose the ‘Projects’ list. In SharePoint Designer Navigation, choose ‘Lists and Libraries’. In the list settings page, click on ‘New’ in ‘Views’ section. Provide appropriate name for the view and click OK. After choosing list, click on ‘New’ in the Views section. Give appropriate name to the list. Now click on any column, then in the ribbon, click on List View Tools-&g

SharePoint 2013 (SP 15) - Creating Custom Lists

As I am exploring SharePoint 2013, I found out that there are lot of things that are new and there are lot of thing that are old but presented in a different manner as compared to SharePoint 2010. For example, Site Actions was on the top left corner in SP 2010. But in SP 15 (SharePoint 2013) we dont have ‘Site Actions’ button. But instead we have a settings icon which is placed at top right corner. When you click on the settings icon select Add an App. This will basically allow you to add custom lists, documents libraries etc. Add an App is basically the same as More Options in SharePoint 2010. From now on custom lists & libraries will be called apps. Just like in Apple store or Android store you can develop apps for SharePoint and sell it. You can find more information here: http://officepreview.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps-for-sharepoint-FX102804987.aspx When you click on Add an App you will be navigated to a different scree which will display different opti

Working with large xml files in c# .net

Working with large (huge) xml files is always a pain in the … The reason? These files can’t be loaded in to memory. On my desktop, where I have 2 gigs memory, I can’t open the file in even notepad. I was presented with a challenge recently to manipulate one such large xml file. The xml file was of 550+ MB. I know many would say I have seen bigger xml files than this. But the heart of the matter is if I can’t open 550+ MB file in notepad or in xmldocument in c#, then I can’t open any file bigger than this. And hence the logic to play with these files would remain same. The scenario: We have an xml file from which we want to remove a single node without removing its children. In the below sample xml fragment, the node has to be removed. The children nodes, must then be attached to ( node’s parent) node. One Two 100.22 GoodDay 3 4 Five 200.09 Cra