Skip to main content

SharePoint People Editor Control Validation

I was recently working on a visual web part in SharePoint 2013. I added a people editor control on the ascx file. And when I tried to enter the user's name and press enter, the text box started behaving like a multiline textbox. It did not validate the user. Even when I searched for the user and selected, the user did not show up in the textbox.

The HTML for the control is simple. I have used this in many other projects.



I went crazy. There is so much to learn in SharePoint. SharePoint makes you feel humble, rookie :)
This is how the people editor behaved...



I tried many things. I even tried to implement Client people picker introduced in SharePoint 2013.
Then I stumbled upon a blog by Bill Daugherty II. He had explained about some issue he is facing. Which thankfully worked for me too.
http://myspexp.com/2011/03/23/using-the-sharepoint-peopleeditor-in-a-gridview/

The solution was to give a script reference to EntityEditor.js file from _layouts.

<script type="text/javascript" src="/_layouts/entityeditor.js"></script>

This worked like a charm for me. I hope it helps others too. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create list view - Conditional Formatting in SharePoint Designer 2010

In this example, we are going to format a column based on certain condition. Here I already have a list called Projects. I also have workflow associated with it. So whenever I create a new item in the list, workflow status column shows ‘In Progress’. Subsequently when the workflow in completed, the workflow status column shows ‘Completed’. For demonstration purpose, I will set the background color of workflow status column to yellow when the status is ‘In Progress’ and to green when the status is ‘Completed’. In SharePoint Designer open the site on which you are working. Click on ‘Lists and Libraries’ link. Choose the ‘Projects’ list. In SharePoint Designer Navigation, choose ‘Lists and Libraries’. In the list settings page, click on ‘New’ in ‘Views’ section. Provide appropriate name for the view and click OK. After choosing list, click on ‘New’ in the Views section. Give appropriate name to the list. Now click on any column, then in the ribbon, click on List View Tools-&g

SharePoint 2013 (SP 15) - Creating Custom Lists

As I am exploring SharePoint 2013, I found out that there are lot of things that are new and there are lot of thing that are old but presented in a different manner as compared to SharePoint 2010. For example, Site Actions was on the top left corner in SP 2010. But in SP 15 (SharePoint 2013) we dont have ‘Site Actions’ button. But instead we have a settings icon which is placed at top right corner. When you click on the settings icon select Add an App. This will basically allow you to add custom lists, documents libraries etc. Add an App is basically the same as More Options in SharePoint 2010. From now on custom lists & libraries will be called apps. Just like in Apple store or Android store you can develop apps for SharePoint and sell it. You can find more information here: http://officepreview.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps-for-sharepoint-FX102804987.aspx When you click on Add an App you will be navigated to a different scree which will display different opti

Working with large xml files in c# .net

Working with large (huge) xml files is always a pain in the … The reason? These files can’t be loaded in to memory. On my desktop, where I have 2 gigs memory, I can’t open the file in even notepad. I was presented with a challenge recently to manipulate one such large xml file. The xml file was of 550+ MB. I know many would say I have seen bigger xml files than this. But the heart of the matter is if I can’t open 550+ MB file in notepad or in xmldocument in c#, then I can’t open any file bigger than this. And hence the logic to play with these files would remain same. The scenario: We have an xml file from which we want to remove a single node without removing its children. In the below sample xml fragment, the node has to be removed. The children nodes, must then be attached to ( node’s parent) node. One Two 100.22 GoodDay 3 4 Five 200.09 Cra